We are hiring a part-time fact-writer / checker
Precision, thoroughness and clarity are core values at FiveThirtyEight, and we are looking for someone to share them. FiveThirtyEight is hiring a part-time writer and fact-checker to join its editorial office and help ensure our stories, graphics, videos and interactive graphics meet site standards for methodological rigor, clear presentation, and reasoning. solid. This means someone who is detail-oriented, comfortable with the numbers, and eager to collaborate with FiveThirtyEighters in the newsroom departments.
A successful candidate for this role could have a variety of backgrounds and skill sets – perhaps a fact checker, someone with experience on a traditional copy office, or even a recent college graduate. who has a background in statistics or coding and is eager to develop editing and research skills. Applicants must do not feel that they must tick all of the boxes below to apply.
This position is part-time and will not last an average of more than 29 hours per week with the option of continuing to work remotely as long as you keep the Eastern Time Zone working hours.
The candidate’s essentials:
- At least two years of fact-checking, copy editing, or research experience (college or graduate school is acceptable)
- A story of collaborative and benevolent work.
- Knowledge of spreadsheet software such as Microsoft Excel and / or knowledge of programming languages such as R or Python.
- The ability to use simple math skills to work and check numbers for accuracy.
- Meticulous attention to detail and a curiosity to learn.
- General knowledge of US politics or major US sports.
- Proficiency in spreadsheet software such as Microsoft Excel and / or proficiency in statistical programming languages such as R or Python.
- In-depth knowledge of US politics or major US sports.
If you are interested, please apply here, and include your resume and cover letter, by April 5th. And, again, if you don’t tick all the boxes, that’s okay – we’d still love to hear from you.
Finally, if you don’t have the time or interest to work 29 hours a week but tick most of the boxes above, we are also looking for freelancers to copy, edit, and fact check. For more information, please send an email to [email protected] with “FREELANCE COPY EDITOR” in the subject line.