We’re looking for a Freelance News Writer for the weekend!
PCGamesN – that’s us! – is looking for a Freelance Writer to find and cover the biggest PC gaming news on the weekends. This is a fully remote part-time position and would be suitable for any freelance writer looking for a regular position to supplement other income.
You will need to commit to working Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. UK time, but we’re open to discussing a slight nudge at those times for the right candidate. With that in mind, you can be based anywhere in the world. You will be paid monthly on a freelance basis at our hourly rate of Â£ 12, for a total of Â£ 96 per shift, and you are expected to write five to eight articles per day.
So what are we looking for in our future weekend news editor? With a knack for writing, you’ll be able to find the story in everything from a press release to a live stream to a Reddit comment thread. You will understand and be able to write interesting copies of the latest triple-A games, longtime favorites, niche PC gems, business relationships, and all the weird and wonderful things gaming communities are doing. You will also know where to look to uncover these stories and be able to write them in a timely and accurate manner.
Although you will work outside of our regular office hours, you will be part of the team and make a vital contribution to the success of the site. As such, you will participate in our virtual office through Slack, under the direction of the Editor and News Editor. You will receive regular feedback to help you improve and lots of support to level up.
All eligible applicants are encouraged to apply, although we are especially eager to hear from writers from BIPOC, LGBTQ and other under-represented backgrounds.
Location: Wherever your PC is
Registration deadline: May 2, 2021
- Write daily news on new and old PC games
- Finding angles and tracks for the above
- Speak to developers, editors, and PRs for feedback
- Occasional event coverage
- Occasionally write larger articles on specific topics
- CMS work, transcription and other small jobs as needed
Skills and experience required:
- The ability to write brilliantly, quickly, and to work across a wide range of disciplines
- A keen interest in and knowledge of video games
- Proficiency in GSuite
- Proactivity, attention to detail and excellent organization
- A Steam account, an Epic account, an EA Orig – oh, just be in PC games
Desirable skills and experience:
- Experience writing news or articles regularly, preferably online
- CMS experience (ideally with WordPress)
- Previous work in major magazines or websites, especially on current affairs
To apply, please send a cover letter with details of your experience and why you would make a great addition to the PCGN team, as well as at least one sample story, to [emailÂ protected], using the subject line: ‘Weekend News Editor ‘app. We look forward to hearing from you!