8 Dems, 2 GOP working for 4 seats
Four of the seven seats on Erie’s city council are up for ballot in the May 18 municipal primary, which will pave the way for the November 2 municipal election.
No matter what happens at the polls, the seven-member panel will be very different in 2022.
However, only one of the current city council members whose seats are on the ballot, Democrat Liz Allen, has chosen to be re-elected.
Besides Allen, a former reporter and editor of the Erie Times-News who was first elected to city council in 2019, other Democrats on the ballot are Jasmine Flores; Elspeth “Kate” Koehle; Kendrick Tate; Cory DiLoreto; Marcus P. Yuille; Maurice “Mo” Troupe; and Chuck Nelson, a pastor who lives in the city’s West Bay.
Flores, Koehle and Tate pose as a slate affiliated with local social justice group Erie County United.
Two Republicans, Greg Brown and Shawn Lyons, are also in the race. Lyons ran unsuccessfully for mayor in 2019.
City council members serve part-time and are paid $ 6,000 per year; the chair of the board receives $ 7,500 per year. Members of the Board are also entitled to health insurance benefits.
Liz Allen (outgoing Democrat)
- Age: 69
- Profession: freelance writer; library clerk with daily allowance; Erie SeaWolves bailiff; retired journalist and editor of Erie Times-News
- Education: Bachelor of Arts, Marquette University; major in journalism; minor political science, theology
- Staff: twice widowed; remarried; a living son; a deceased son; 22 grandchildren, including step-grandchildren
- www.instagram.com/lizforeriecitycouncil; twitter.com/lizeriepa
A closer look at Liz Allen:Erie City Council race: Democrat Allen vows to continue his review if re-elected
Greg Brown (Republican)
- Age: 39
- Profession: Co-Founder and COO, Red Letter Hospitality
- Education: Bachelor of Science in Accounting and Minor in Economics, Missouri State University; Master of Business Administration from Indiana University
- Staff: married with three children
- www.votegregbrown.com; bit.ly/GregBrownErie
A closer look at Greg Brown:Erie City Council race: Republican Brown wants to see “a lasting economic boom”
Cory DiLoreto (Democrat)
A closer look at Cory DiLoreto:Erie city council race: Democrat DiLoreto wants city to reach ‘full potential’
Jasmine Flores (Democrat)
A closer look at Jasmine Flores:Erie City Council race: Democrat Flores says she struggled, like many citizens
Elspeth “Kate” Koehle (Democrat)
- 44 years
- Profession: community organizer for Erie County United
- Education: Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy and Religion from the University of Edinboro
- Personal: single mother of two boys
A closer look at Kate Koehle:Erie City Council race: Democrat Koehle vows to continue campaign for social justice
Shawn Lyons (Republican)
- Age: 47
- Profession: employee of Travel Centers of America; Former Superintendent of Maintenance, Millcreek Mall
- Education: High school graduate, Red Rock Job Corps Center; Took classes at Erie County Technical School
- Staff: married with two children
Chuck Nelson (Democrat)
- Age: 36
- Profession: pastor, the cross
- Education: Bachelor’s degree, Lindenwood University; Master, Reformed Presbyterian Theological Seminary; completing his doctorate at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary
- Staff: married, two daughters.
- www.chucknelson.info; www.facebook.com/ChuckNelsonErie
A closer look at Chuck Nelson:Erie City Council race: Democrat Nelson seeks impact beyond ministry
Kendrick Tate (Democrat)
A closer look at Kendrick Tate:Erie City Council race: Democrat Tate wants all communities adopted
Maurice “Mo” Troupe (Democrat)
- Age: 45
- Profession: Assistant Principal at Erie High School
- Education: Baccalaureate from Westminster College; Masters Degree from the University of Edinboro
- Staff: married with three children
- www.motroop.com; www.facebook.com/MoTroop4Erie
A closer look at Mo Troop:Erie City Council race: Democrat Maurice Troop brings passion for service
Marcus Yuille (Democrat)
- Age: 28 years old
- Occupation: Manager of Outreach Services, Erie County Public Library
- Education: Bachelor of Political Science, Penn State University; Master of Business Administration, University of Phoenix
- Staff: married
A closer look at Marcus Yuille:Erie city council race: Democrat Yuille would consult citizens to resolve issues