Executive Producer-Story Editor, Films Department
Job Title: Executive Producer-Editor (Maternity Cover)
Type of contract: Maternity cover—1 year
Deadline for submitting applications: July 1, 2022
The film department of The Economist is the BAFTA award-winning factual production arm of the world’s current affairs newspaper. The Films team captures The EconomistThe globally curious vision of in stunning short films, which offer a clear and pointed analysis of a subject, presented in a convincing and digestible way. On average, our films are viewed 15 million times per month. They are disseminated via the publisher’s editorial channels and social platforms including Twitter, YouTube, Facebook and Instagram IGTV.
The Economist is looking for a highly qualified and talented Executive Producer to join the film crew on a one-year contract (maternity cover). You will be responsible for overseeing much of the editorial content produced by Economist Films and will work closely with the Head of Video and other members of the Economist Films management team. The Executive Producer-Editor also plays a key role in managing Economist Films’ relationships with other sections and editors of The Economist.
As Executive Producer-Editor, you will oversee the commissioning, structuring, storyboarding and editing of films in coordination with the newspaper’s section editors. You will have overall responsibility for ensuring that each film’s editorial thesis is not only rigorous and accurate, but also communicated in the clearest and most effective way for support.
During the go-live process, you will identify and facilitate opportunities with journalists across the newspaper who lend themselves to a visual and narrative approach. You will work with journalists to prepare pitches that offer a clear and strong editorial proposition with suitable vision or potential for a piece of video journalism.
During production, you will partner with section editors to help the video reporter refine both the argument and the narrative. Together, you’ll ensure each film stays focused on a pressing issue that drives the narrative forward and is effectively structured through scenes and sequences.
You will oversee the day-to-day production processes for multiple films at once.
• Collaborate with Head of Video and Head of Production, Development and Production team to create a compelling content slate.
• Oversee the presentation and commissioning process
• Supervise and approve plans, scripts, filming, editing and FX
• Supervise schedules in coordination with HOV, SPD and PM
• Approval of subtitles, inline thumbnails and text
• Manage the workflow; ensure films are delivered on time and within budget
• Hold regular meetings with DPs and other direct reports to ensure objectives are met
• Work with Story Editor, Senior PD and PM to prioritize and deliver daily priorities
• Maintain good relationships and best practices with The Economistthe extended editorial team of
• Build and oversee a stable of freelance talent (work with the HohP and within budget) with sensitivity and an appropriate level of experience for the Economist Films brand globally
• Leverage previous experience and expertise to vary and improve Economist Films.
• Previous experience in video journalism, news and television production.
• Experienced in managing large teams and busy production schedules
• Highly creative, organized, diplomatic, excellent communication skills, with the ability to work calmly and professionally under pressure and tight deadlines
• Proven track record in producing quality factual content requiring journalistic rigor
• Experience producing online content, especially for YouTube
• Familiarity with online video distribution channels
• Ability to combine excellent news judgment with experience in storytelling and a strong collaborative approach to help transform The Economistreports captivating must-see stories that people watch from beginning to end
• Technical understanding of the filmmaking process
• Exceptional scripting skill
Reports to: The EP will report to The EconomistDavid Alter, head of video, and Cherry Jordan, head of production.
To apply: Please send a cover letter, CV and ideally a showreel/example of your work to [email protected].
Closing date: July 1, 2022
This work is based in London. All applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK.
The Economist Group values diversity. We are committed to ensuring equal opportunity and creating an inclusive environment for all of our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnicity, national origin, gender, race, color, religious belief, disability, sexual orientation, or age.